From: Tod Fitch <tod@LTFdesign.com>
Subject: Re: Two internet connections
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:35:35 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 08:17 AM 3/28/2000 , Daniel Knight wrote:
I have a dual-line ISDN connection into the home with a static IP. This
is connected to my SuperMac J700, which runs SIMS and Macjordomo. It's
also connected to my ethernet network.

I have a cable modem at home with a static IP. This is connected to a
hardware router, which lets any Mac on my ethernet network access the
internet at pretty high speed.

I'd like to find a way that the mail/list server can access both
networks. For one, being able to send over cable would be a lot faster.
Another factor: I want to stop paying for the ISDN service.

I can't figure out how I might accomplish this short of setting up a
second mail/list server while shifting the MX records to the new IP.
There's got to be a better way.

Anyone managed this? (If it works, I want to try to do the same thing at
work: keep ISDN for our mail server [multi-year ISP contract] and use
cable for all other access.)

Dan Knight, information systems manager       dknight@bakerbooks.com
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

You might try putting a second Ethernet card into your mail server and putting it onto the cable modem network in addition to ISDN line. Set the cable modem to be the default route for speed. Any incoming mail from the ISDN line should still be handled properly. (SIMS runs fine on a multi-homed Mac.)

IPNetRouter from Sustainable Softworks <http://www.sustworks.com/> will allow you to configure multiple Ethernet cards on one machine.

Regards,
Tod Fitch