From: Daniel Knight <dknight@bakerbooks.com>
Subject: Re: Two internet connections
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:18:03 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Jeff Alpher writes:

>I'll assume you are using your hw router to do NAT. This might work:
>a) port map your hardware router on the cable line so that all pop/smtp
>rqsts (110 & 25) are sent to the J700
>b) you'll need to setup the J700 to handle multiple IP addresses, the
>existing static ISDN and the port mapped one from the hw router.
>
>for a) you should be able to setup w/ the sw that came w/ the router

Yes, I can do that.

>for b) IPnetRouter (www.sustworks.com) can be used to setup multiple IPs
>on the same ethernet card interface, you might not even need to reboot.

I guess it's time to surf on over and wade through the documentation. I
know the Mac supports some limited form of multihoming, but there doesn't
seem to be any way to do it without third-party software.

Good thing I'm already a licensed IPNetRouter user.

>Once the transition is complete, you can jetison the ISDN static IP and
>leave the port mapped address on the J700. You can then toss IPnetRouter.

That's the plan. ;-)

Dan Knight, information systems manager       dknight@bakerbooks.com
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

 - Saved by grace