From: Systems <cbowers@caravel.bc.ca>
Subject: RE: Two internet connections
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:54:52 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
> I guess it's time to surf on over and wade through the documentation. I
> know the Mac supports some limited form of multihoming, but there doesn't
> seem to be any way to do it without third-party software.

Yes, you can just put the old ISDN IP in the Secondary IP list and config
the primary IP for the cable modem, but this really only works well for IP's
in the same subnet.  It would get you through the transition if you didn't
mind some fairly whopping packet delays (at least on a 7200/90, YMMV).  I
did get through a transition this way.  IPNetrouter would likely be your
best bet.

If you don't have a static IP on the cable modem there are obviously many
dynamic DNS options.  www.dynip.com is the only one I can remember, but
there are other good ones (as well as some not so good).

It is a shame that we have to go this route, I guess it's one area where our
macs haven't kept up.  Any Win9x machine will use two ethernet cards at the
same time with an IP on two different subnets, and NT boxes can stack up to
5 IP's in different subnets for each installed ethernet card.

Craig Bowers
Systems Manager
Caravel Management Corp.