From: Systems <cbowers@caravel.bc.ca>
Subject: RE: Two internet connections
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:47:10 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Well, I didn't mean to say it was the be all and end all...

I just meant to say that there's some give and take in the networking end of
things.  Mac's have for eons been able to switch IP addresses without a
restart (not for secondary but then we haven't had secondary IP's for eons).
It's taken Win2K to bring that to the Intel boxes.  However even an old 486
with win95 on it can at least use multiple NIC's with multiple single IP's.
And in this changeover example it would be have been nice to have on our
mac's.  And really, my bringing in NT and your bringing in Unix are unfair
comparisons, since in many/most cases on this list we're talking about a
workstation OS (8.6 or 9), on Mac workstation hardware.  So a most apples to
apples comparison, might be a Win9x OS on midlevel Intel hardware.

Also, I just checked the config on my Thinkpad with Win2K Pro and the baloon
help says "There is no limit to the number of IP addresses that can be
configured".  So I'm left thinking that either NT Workstation (the former OS
on this laptop), was more limited, or the docs were whacked.  Having said
that it might also be pointless to have a whole subnet of IP addresses on an
NT workstation box since you'd still be bound by the licencing bariers of 10
simultaneous connections to it.  I gather in earlier builds this was even
enforced by the OS, but public backlash reduced this to a licencing barrier.
Also my term "NT box" was probably a little generic as well, due to the
number of ISP's using NT Server, I would doubt that NT Server had a 5 IP per
card limitation.  And then we could cloud the issue further with the fact
that some well placed registry "tweaks" automagically turns NT Workstation
into Server (or so they say...)

Craig Bowers