From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: Two internet connections (mulihoming)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:21:34 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 13:37 3/28/2000, you wrote:
While this is a good point, has anyone ever found that they HAD to have a
firewall on their Mac servers?

For the vast majority of people the answer is no, they don't need a firewall.  The only setup I can think of where I would not be comfortable without a firewall would be with a cable modem.  Since you are on a network, essentially, with every computer in your area, the potential for intrusion is much greater.  I mean, how secure are your passwords?

On the other hand, with the OS9 keychain there's no reason not to generate 20 character random passwords for your machines, so you could (should) be quite safe.

<MODE RANT=ON>
By the way, "infamous" is not related to "famous" but to "infamy."  Something that is infamous is something dreadful and horrible, and has nothing to do with being known or not.  It is not something well-known in a bad way.  Don't feel bad, it's quite possibly the most misused word in modern English.
</MODE>