From: Steve Linford <steve@ultradesign.com>
Subject: Re: 2 questions - blacklisting followup
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:52:37 +0100
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>From Stefan Jeglinski, received 30/03/2000, 6:56 am +0100 (GMT):
> Based on previous spams that I can't believe I misinterpreted, I
> blacklisted a PSI dialup block from which we had received a direct
> connection. PSI is our ISP, so they provide our mail backup. But near
> as I can tell, PSI removed or otherwise retired the dialup block, and
> assigned one of the IPs to a mailserver. And you guessed it -

Yup, that's why I use the MAPS DUL instead of blacklisting dialup blocks
myself :-)

> I am perusing 1894 but frankly, it is so detailed I figured I might
> get a quicker answer from the list. The message returned by SIMS (via
> the backup server) is currently:
>
> host mail.4pi.com [206.6.156.11]:
> 591 Your host is in our Black List. No mail will be accepted. Refer to
> <http://www.4pi.com/home/spam.shtml> for more information.

Well, I don't know about RFC 1894-compliant DSN, but from experience I
learnt a couple of things regarding bounce messages: (a) Most customers
don't understand what a "host" is. (b) Most customers think the bounce
message comes from thier own service (technically it does) and is talking
directly to them, so they think "Your host" refers to where the message was
going (ie: they always think _my_ server is blacklisted and not thiers).

The standard thing that happens is that somebody on a blacklisted system
will send mail to one of my customers, the mail bounces, they contact my
customer though other means and send my customer a copy of the bounce
message. My customer forwards it to me asking why WE are blacklisted.

To stop this, I found that I had to clarify who was refusing mail, and what
was blacklisted, so I edited the SIMS bounce string to read:

    591 Your mail server is listed on an international Blacklist. The
    Ultradesign Network does not accept mail from blacklisted servers.

So for an RSS bounce it reads:

    591 Your mail server is listed on an international Blacklist. The
    Ultradesign Network does not accept mail from blacklisted servers.
    Please see <http://www.mail-abuse.org/rss/enduser.html>

That cleared up the problem.

  Steve Linford