From: Serge Belleudy-d'Espinose <sam@ijm.jussieu.fr>
Subject: A bit OT (Re: Pros and Cons of Mac VM?)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:06:08 +0200
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>With any system since 7.6, you can get multiple memory management
>advantages from having VM on with any Mac, with no performance cost as
>long as you don't ever actually use that extra MB. Apple essentially froze
>the non-VM memory manager at 7.5.3 and only added performance features to
>the VM version. The non-VM memory manager even uses some 68k emulation on
>PPC's (at least through 8.1), so using it on a PPC is a very bad move for
>performance.

Would you recommend VM on a mac running ASIP - along with SIMS, QDNS Pro
and AutoShare, as I remember reading in the docs somewhere that Apple
recommends VM off ?

I forgot : 8.6, 128mo ram and plenty of space

Serge

_ \///\/ _   I N S T I T U T    | Serge Belleudy-d'Espinose - IJM Tour 43
 \///\///     J A C Q U E S     | 2 place Jussieu - 75251 Paris Cedex 05
_///\///\_      M O N O D       | m@il : service.informatique@ijm.jussieu.fr
__/\///\__ Service Informatique | WWW  : http://www.ijm.jussieu.fr/