From: Tod Fitch <tod@LTFdesign.com>
Subject: Re: Local secondary MX failing
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:14:18 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 7:07 AM -0700 4/17/00, Mark Hartman wrote:
I'm hoping that some of the SIMS/DNS experts on the list
can lend me some of their expertise.

The problem: my primary mail server went down last night,
and my secondary server bounced the messages with failure
rather than holding them for delivery.

The situation:

I have two SIMS servers running, castor.harthaven.com and
pollux.harthaven.com.  Both are running QuickDNS (castor as
primary, pollux as secondary), with pollux pointed to as
the first record in my NIC entry.  MX records are set up
with castor as 10 and pollux as 20.

The router on both systems contains the line:

     harthaven.com = castor.harthaven.com

which I remember putting in there because I couldn't get it
to work otherwise.

Here's the domain entry as copied from QuickDNSPro Admin:

harthaven.com. NS castor.harthaven.com.
harthaven.com. NS pollux.harthaven.com.
harthaven.com. MX 10 castor.harthaven.com.
harthaven.com. MX 20 pollux.harthaven.com.
castor.harthaven.com. A 216.102.157.10
pollux.harthaven.com. A 199.222.120.30
30.120.222.199.in-addr.arpa. PTR pollux.harthaven.com.
10.157.102.216.in-addr.arpa. PTR castor.harthaven.com.
ns1.harthaven.com. CNAME castor.harthaven.com.
ns2.harthaven.com. CNAME pollux.harthaven.com.
dns.harthaven.com. CNAME castor.harthaven.com.
dns2.harthaven.com. CNAME pollux.harthaven.com.
ftp.harthaven.com. CNAME castor.harthaven.com.
pop.harthaven.com. CNAME castor.harthaven.com.
pop2.harthaven.com. CNAME pollux.harthaven.com.
smtp.harthaven.com. CNAME castor.harthaven.com.
news.harthaven.com. CNAME pollux.harthaven.com.
www.harthaven.com. CNAME castor.harthaven.com.
www2.harthaven.com. CNAME pollux.harthaven.com.

Can anyone tell me:

o  what I'm doing wrong?
o  how to fix it?
o  if more information is needed?

Thanks in advance
Mark Hartman

Your DNS setup is fine. You need a line like the following in the SIMS router of your secondary server:

caster.harthaven.com = caster.harthaven.com.smtp

This tells the secondary to send any mail destined to caster directly to the smtp module.

Tod Fitch