From: Tod Fitch <tod@LTFdesign.com>
Subject: A gotcha
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:17:33 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I suffered a little gotcha this weekend. The damage was minor, but I thought I would share the situation in case it helps someone else.

The scenario is this:

1) We are occasionally (a couple of times a day) getting mail for an unknown user. (Previous domain owner account. Legit, but annoying.)

2) I did not have my secondary's mail server IP address in the client list.

3) My DSL line went down over the weekend.

When I kicked the DSL modem in the rear this morning and got it going again the secondary started giving us the mail that had been accumulating. It tried several times with mail for the unknown user triggering the anti-SPAM logic in SIMS which temporally placed the secondary mail server on the blacklisted list.

All to the other queued mail was then tagged as from a blacklisted address.

Result: All the queued mail when to my black list trap account.

Lessons learned:
1) I am glad I route the mail from blacklisted IP addresses to a collection account rather than rejecting it out of hand.

2) I need to make sure that my secondary mail servers are in the client hosts lists to make sure this does not happen again.

Cheers,
Tod Fitch