From: <web@3dresearch.com>
Subject: Re: number of simultaneous POP connections
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:31:21 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>At 11:20 4/17/2000, you wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>Is there a way to limit the number of simultaneous POP connections from the
>>same IP address?
>
>why?  Eudora Pro on the PC will check every "personality" as a separate
>thread (I wish the Mac version did this).

Well, I had the number of simultaneous POP3 connections set to 25 when I
noticed that 20+ connections from the same IP address in the POP window.
This isn't a problem by itself, but these connections were all
unsuccessful, persisting each for at least a minute before timing out. Some
of the time there were 25 connections (from the same IP address) and other
POP requests were rejected. I then set the limit to 50 connections, and
fortunately that was sufficient.

I still don't know if this was a denial of service attack or just a client
trying. If this was a denial of service attack, it probably would not have
mattered how high a number I set the limit. The only remedy would have been
to limit the number of simultaneous connections from the same address. But
I'm afraid this is not possible...

Janos Dohanics
3D RESEARCH