From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Local secondary MX failing
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:28:45 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 9:32 PM -0700 4/17/00, Mark Hartman  imposed structure on a stream of
electrons, yielding:
>Well, I've tried everything that everyone has suggested...
>
>and messages sent to my secondary MX are still being bounced rather
>than being sent on the my primary MX.
>

>Failed to deliver your message to mh@harthaven.com:
>SMTP: DNS Routing Loop
>The Domain Name System record for 'castor.harthaven.com'
>points back to 'pollux.harthaven.com'.
><<<<

Something is wrong. Maybe you have a stale Hosts file in use?  Maybe
pollux thinks that its primary name is castor? I'm not clear why it is
even try to deliver to castor explicitly.

What SHOULD happen is that mail should hit pollux, which knows from this
routing record:

harthaven.com = harthaven.com.smtp

that it should be a normal relay for harthaven.com. It does a DNS lookup
for the MX's for harthaven.com, knows that it is pollux, and tries for
castor by address.

The loop error is weird, because as far as I can see, the records for
castor DO NOT point back at pollux in any way, and you shouldn't be trying
castor explicitly. I'd suggest hunting for dusty hosts files and
confirming that each machine has its full name as its primary name (with
castor having 'harthaven.com = castor.harthaven.com' in the router)

>I've corrected everything that DNS Expert suggested (at least, that which
>can be corrected).

Note that DNS Expert is anal beyond any formal DNS spec or reason about
reverse matching, and misses real problems. It's not really worth paying
for.

The only REAL problem I saw was the stuff with your nameservers. NS
records should NOT point to names that don't have A records, even if 90%
of the name resolvers will handle it correctly. There's no reason for it
either, since it doesn't make anything easier. Just point real A's for
your nameservers at the real addresses.

--
Bill Cole