From: cgb13 <cgb13@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: How to properly setup an internal mail server?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:48:15 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>So my question is this: what are my options? There are probably only 2
>users who will need to send email to the outside world and get responses
>back. They both have outside accounts that they can use as the return
>address. The problem is that the other email servers are rejecting any
>email they send because the address of their server is bogus. What can I
>do about it?
I don't know if this helps, but it worked for me when I had a similar
problem. Only I tracked it down to not being the mail server, but rather
the mail client (the clients had all been set up to talk to the server
with a pop and smtp address of 192.160.100.4, so it was
user@192.168.100.4) This sounds like what you are having a problem with.
I solved it by putting in an internal DNS server (ran MacDNS off the same
machine the SIMS server was on). Then I set up an entry for
smtp.mydomain.com, and pop.mydomain.com, pointing to 192.168.100.4 (which
just happened to be the same machine). I went back and changed the email
clients to use the named pop and smtp server instead
(user@pop.mydomain.com). This worked just fine.

HOWEVER, there is one catch that may hang you up with this. I had my ISP
providing web and Unified domain mail services, and they had a DNS entry
that trapped all unknown subdomains for my domain. That meant that by
default my pop and smtp subdomains resolved properly.

But maybe it will work for you as well (who hosts your primary DNS?).