From: Peter Lalor <plalor@infoasis.com>
Subject: Re: Selective domain aliasing
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 09:46:59 -0700
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
From: Peter Lalor <plalor@infoasis.com>

We have a few domains that, usually for historical reasons, are aliased in the router like this:

ancientdomain.com=infoasis.com

This creates problems when mail is sent to an address that exists only in the infoasis.com domain, such as "info", in which case mail to the nonexistent info@ancientdomain.com ends up in the info@infoasis.com mailbox.

Is there any way to bounce such mail without migrating everything to

<*@ancientdomain.com>=*.ancient

Peter Lalor           Infoasis

--------------------------------------------------------_950040726_-
From: "Systems" <cbowers@caravel.bc.ca>
Sure, rename your info account to infoasis-info (or whatever).  Then create
router entries for the domains that do have info accounts, ie.
<info@infoasis.com> = infoasis-info, thus info@ancientmail.com would bounce
because there is no such account.

Craig Bowers

I'm not having luck with this. I renamed info to infoasis-info and put <info@infoasis.com>=infoasis-info in the router. When I send mail to info@infoasis.com, it bounces with User Unknown. The log:

09:32:33 5 ROUTER Input: info(infoasis.com)
09:32:33 5 ROUTER Parser: info@infoasis.com -> info(infoasis.com)
09:32:33 5 ROUTER Input: info()
09:32:33 5 ROUTER Parser: info -> info()
09:32:33 1 SMTP-637([206.40.74.35]) SPAM? Recipient '<info@infoasis.com>' rejected: user unknown

Granted, there's a lot in my router, and in fact many lines of the form <user@domain>=account, but doesn't work for some reason. There are no other lines in the router that affect info that I can see, but something must be. Or?

Please CC me on this topic; I get the digest.

Thanks.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   The San Francisco Bay Area's Macintosh