From: Michael Croft <michael@whiterose.org>
Subject: Re: I am SO confused SIMS w/ or w/o communigator; please help
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 10:14:17 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 09:22 AM 5/8/00, Andrew R. Schmiechen wrote:

>Why use SIMS over EIMS?  SIMS is free, extremely stable, actively supported
>by a great community and company, and, did I mention, free?

There are also functional differences.

EIMS has LDAP and Ph directory services built in.  EIMS is developing (in Beta now) IMAP4rev1 support for EIMS.  If you need those (and I don't), you should look at EIMS and Communigate/Communigate Pro.  EIMS also offers version 1.3.1 as freeware; I don't know anything about it except that it is freeware and is the predecessor to EIMS 2.X.

SIMS has a web interface which allows me to administer it from anywhere I can get to a web browser.  Since at work I have Windows boxes, this is absolutely critical to me.  I didn't realize how much I needed this until I looked at EIMS and rejected it because there was no way to administer it from Windows.

Also, the SIMS router seems more capable than the multihoming features of EIMS.