From: Tod Fitch <tod@LTFdesign.com>
Subject: Re: adding dialup IPs to Blacklists
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 13:04:05 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>, SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 11:44 AM 5/19/2000 , Bill Cole wrote:
At 10:40 AM -0700 5/19/00, Tod Fitch  imposed structure on a stream of
electrons, yielding:

>Then in your Blacklisted hosts you need to add 127.x.x.x. addresses for
>each type of abuse you wish to block. You can check the various mail abuse
>web sites to see what 127.x.x.x. addresses correspond to what kind of
>block. I set mine to:
>
>127.0.0.1-127.0.0.255
>
>To block everything.

Including loopback from the SIMS host.

Try 127.0.0.2-127.0.0.255.  That way you don't blacklist mail sending from
the server machine itself, which might be something you want to do.

Hum good point. I don't originate mail on my mail server on a regular basis so maybe that is why I haven't had a problem.

OTOH, I _have_ sent mail from the server from time to time. My recollection is that the mail is tagged with the DSL NIC IP address rather than with the loop back interface IP address (at least on OS8.1 when using Eudora).