From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: adding dialup IPs to Blacklists
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 17:13:59 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 1:49 PM -0700 5/19/00, Systems  imposed structure on a stream of
electrons, yielding:
>> Really?  127.0.0.1 is local machine, so this would prevent anyone
>> from the
>> machine SIMS is running on from sending mail.
>

>Doesn't seem to.  I have 127.0.0.1-127.0.0.3 in my blacklist.
>Previously I've had various email clients running automated tasks on the
>same machine without issue.  Just now I opened a telnet session to SIMS from
>the same machine on port 25 and sent mail to myself successfully.  The SIMS
>log showed the connection from the public IP of the NIC.

Hmmm... I suspect that could be a result of using NAT and names that
resolve to the public address of a machine, i.e. you might end up actually
going over the wire to whatever does your NAT and back in. It might also
just be an artifact of how the client operates: it uses a name and doesn't
check for whether that happens to be the machine it is on.

Listing 127.0.0.1 may not be a problem if you use normal clients. It could
be a problem if you use anything that explicitly uses the loopback
address.

--
Bill Cole
MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group