From: Christian F Buser <christian@rumantsch.ch>
Subject: Re: London based SIMS server, time for foreign users?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 18:55:37 +0200
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello Heath. At 17:18 +0100 23.05.2000, you wrote:

If my server is based in London and has the clock set to London time,
with a GMT offset of +1, how can my foreign users who mail through it
get the right stamps on their mails?

Just had this one from a user in NYC:

Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:14:50 +0100

now it was certainly 12:14 in NYC, but the GMT offset is totally
wrong (or is it just the users that is wrong?)

The "Date: " entry usually comes from the user's mail client (Eudora does it, and it adds the offset also, according to the settings on the user's machine -- Mac and Windows 95 or higher). A Windows 3.x machine does not have a possibility to save the time offset, so Eudora just leaves this part out.

Your user is based in NYC, you think? Maybe he just did not change the time zone when he flew over...?

Or your user's mail client did not add the date label, and it was added by the mail server?

I may be totally wrong with my assumptions...

Best wishes, Christian.
--
Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Look at <http://www.mus.ch/members/cbuser>