From: mike wakerly <mikew@wakerly.com>
Subject: Re: SpamTrap & Retry Question
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 13:36:36 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>Sims will automatically blacklist a host that sends too many failed emails
>in a short time (check the archives for specifics).  However, if there is
>an unknown account enabled, then that specific feature is meaningless,
>since all attempts are somewhat successful.  So, if you didn't have an
>unknown account SIMS would have stopped listening after a few seconds....
>resulting in a much smaller log file.

This is only true on the latest beta version of SIMS. If I recall the first
part of the thread properly, an older beta was being used.

Hmm, I am using SIMS 1.7. Know if there is a difference? Anyway, it sounds like it is a bit silly that an unknown account nullifies SIMS' trigger here... Basically, I serve two domains, one domain where I need unknown addresses, and one where I have maybe two or three valid accounts, the rest being automatic spamtrap addresses.

It seems to me like SIMS should stop accepting connections on repeated SpamTrap denials, regardless of their partial success -- is there something I am missing, or does this sound like a legitimate request/bug?

Mike