From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: SpamTrap & Retry Question
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:15:44 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 13:36 5/30/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >Sims will automatically blacklist a host that sends too many failed emails
> >in a short time (check the archives for specifics).  However, if there is
> >an unknown account enabled, then that specific feature is meaningless,
> >since all attempts are somewhat successful.  So, if you didn't have an
> >unknown account SIMS would have stopped listening after a few seconds....
> >resulting in a much smaller log file.
>
>This is only true on the latest beta version of SIMS. If I recall the first
>part of the thread properly, an older beta was being used.

Hmm, I am using SIMS 1.7. Know if there is a difference? Anyway, it
sounds like it is a bit silly that an unknown account nullifies SIMS'
trigger here... Basically, I serve two domains, one domain where I
need unknown addresses, and one where I have maybe two or three valid
accounts, the rest being automatic spamtrap addresses.

An unknown account means that EVERY ADDRESS is valid.  SIMS cannot, therefore, track which addresses are valid and which are not, so cannot trap out spamming hosts that are hitting multiple non-existent addresses.

It seems to me like SIMS should stop accepting connections on
repeated SpamTrap denials, regardless of their partial success -- is
there something I am missing, or does this sound like a legitimate
request/bug?

It would mean a separate check just for those who run with an unknown account.  If you are interested in stopping spam, then you are not interested in accepting every piece of mail someone throws at your server.

The spam traps do offer you some protecting in that they reject the entire mail piece, however, the specific check that SIMS does to temporarily blacklist a host though is just no compatible with the Unknown account.