From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Removing myself from ORBS Blacklist
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:21:09 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 8:01 PM +0100 5/30/00, Steve Linford  imposed structure on a stream of
electrons, yielding:
>>From Larry Orchier, received 30/05/2000, 4:28 pm +0100 (GMT):
>> My SIMS server has been listed with ORBS.  SIMS 1.8b3js
>>
>> As a result, PSI has stopped relaying my mail.  I've switched my sending
>>options to Directly to Recipients.
>>
>> My only Anti-Spam option is Verify Return Paths.
>> Even when I tried Relay for clients only, with my clients being the IP
>>addresses of my domain, I still failed the ORBS test.
>
>Uhm, that's not possible. SIMS 1.8bx passes all ORBS tests AFAIK (Bill?)

I guess that is me...

I have absolutely nothing to do with ORBS. I do not know how ORBS tests,
and know for sure that you can have a perfectly secure mail server and
remain listed. ORBS is not a list of open relays, it is a list of open
relays and selected machines that Alan Brown cannot positively confirm to
not be open relays.

However, SIMS does have a relay problem that was not solved until one of
the 1.8 betas. It may also have problems if you have established an
'unknown' account. That misfeature (which some people like...) also makes
testing significantly more complicated. At MAPS, servers which behave that
way generate extensive grumbles from the RBL folks, although of course
they do not list machines that swallow all mail without relaying.

>Perhaps you had a mistake in the IP's in the Client List.
>
>> What's the best procedure for getting off the ORBS blacklist?
>
>Turn Relay for Clients Only on, making sure your local machine's IP address
>is in the Clients List.

And remove the unknown account if you have it.

The relay tester at abuse.net is still up at
http://www.abuse.net/relay.html, but you need a registered account to use
it well. It is showing the problem machine as absolutely open to relay,
failing the simplest test. If it is left that way, the machine will
eventually be abused, and someone will eventually submit the evidence of
abuse to MAPS RSS, which will list it with far greater impact than an ORBS
listing can have.

Close the relay. The problems from an ORBS listing are miniscule compared
to the problems you will have if you leave it open much longer.

--
Bill Cole
MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group