From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Copy all outgoing mail?
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:31:28 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 9:58 AM -0500 6/5/00, Andrew R. Schmiechen  imposed structure on a
stream of electrons, yielding:
>Is there a way to copy all outgoing mail?  The goal here, is to have a
>record of who sent what in case of an information breach.  We have no desire
>to read the messages before being sent... only to have a record of the
>message.
>
>On the same note, is there anyway to have subjects show up in the log files?

With SIMS, the answer is simply NO.

SIMS does not look at the content of messages at all, not even the headers.

There are other mail systems that could do this, as long as you can assure
that all email passes through your mail server. I believe Communigate
(also from Stalker) could be made to do this.

Note the caveat: if your users can get a connection to an outside machine
on port 25, there is no mail server used internally that can capture all
the outbound mail. If your users can get to Hotmail or any other web-based
mail provider without going though a proxy, they can also use that to send
mail that you cannot capture.

--
Bill Cole
MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group