From: Matt Simpson <msimpson@uky.edu>
Subject: spamtrap and temp blacklist
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:01:15 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I got hit by a very persistent spammer yesterday. My log has a ton of lines like (all addresses left intact to identify the guilty :-)):

21:47:30 1 SMTP-059([207.221.169.239]) SPAM? address <bigguy@rivendell.cc.uky.edu> is a SpamTrap address
21:47:32 1 SMTP-059([207.221.169.239]) SPAM? Mail from '<contact@gTranz.com>' rejected: SpamTrap
(repeated several times)
21:47:49 1 SMTP-059([207.221.169.239]) SPAM? The host is now on TempBanned list for the next 1200 seconds
21:47:51 1 SMTP-059([207.221.169.239]) SPAM? Mail from '<contact@gTranz.com>' rejected: SpamTrap
21:47:55 1 SMTP-059([207.221.169.239]) SPAM? address <bigguy@rivendell.cc.uky.edu> is a SpamTrap address

Note that just a couple of seconds after supposedly adding the host to the blacklist, I get another attempt.  Shouldn't that have gotten a blacklist rejection instead of a spamtrap rejection? Is there an option I need to turn on to make the temp blacklist actually effective? I'm running 1.8b8

--
Matt Simpson --  Obsolete MVS Guy
University Of Kentucky, Lexington, KY