From: Daniel Solomons <daniel@oo.net>
Subject: Re: Mailer-Daemon Warning - Illegal Seek
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:27:57 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello -

At 1:11 PM +0400 6/6/00, Technical Support, Stalker Labs wrote:
Hello,

On Tue, Jun 6, 2000, 02:30:35 GMT
  Daniel Solomons, <daniel@oo.net> wrote:

Hello -

What does this Mailer-Daemon message from SIMS mean?

----- The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors -----
<abc@oo.net>
451 <abc@oo.net>... reply: read error from e.oo.net.
<abc@oo.net>... Deferred: Illegal seek
Warning: message still undelivered after 8 hours
Will keep trying until message is 3 days old

The SMTP server at e.oo.net serving the oo.net domain replied with the SMTP error 451 to SIMS (or other server en route). 4xx error means a temporary problem.

What is an "Illegal seek" and is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Though the error is "temporary," no messages can be delivered to this account from a couple of sources. SIMS keeps responding with this error. I might have thought the account file was corrupted, but it's receiving other mail just fine.

Thanks,
Daniel

--

Daniel Solomons