From: Daniel Solomons <daniel@oo.net>
Subject: Re: Mailer-Daemon Warning - Illegal Seek
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:37:44 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello -

At 8:56 AM -0600 6/6/00, Cerebus D Aardvark wrote:
On 6/5/00 at 19:30 -0700, Daniel Solomons said:
Hello -

What does this Mailer-Daemon message from SIMS mean?

----- The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors -----
<abc@oo.net>
451 <abc@oo.net>... reply: read error from e.oo.net.
<abc@oo.net>... Deferred: Illegal seek
Warning: message still undelivered after 8 hours
Will keep trying until message is 3 days old

Doesn't look like a message from SIMS.  Are you sure SIMS generated
it?  What makes you think oo.net is a SIMS server?

To partially answer your question, this excerpt says "read error from e.oo.net" which is my SIMS server. Either SIMS generated this message, or had a problem that is described by this message.

I believe the message to have been generated by the SIMS server because the headers originated from the e.oo.net Mailer-Daemon.

In general, 4xx errors mean just what this says, a transient non-fatal error.

The server apparently keeps trying for 3 days, then gives up. The messages are never delivered. I agree that "transient non-fatal errors" can often be ignored as mere warnings, but this warning seems to indicate a problem that needs to be addressed.

Thanks,
Daniel

--

Daniel Solomons