From: Daniel Solomons <daniel@oo.net>
Subject: Re: Mailer-Daemon Warning - Illegal Seek
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:35:47 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello -

At 12:49 PM -0400 6/6/00, Bill Cole wrote:
It looks very much like a disk problem. e.oo.net is where the problem is,
and the 'Illegal seek' means that the MTA there is trying to get to a
place in a file that isn't possible (for example:  trying to get to byte
offset 1256 in a 1254-byte file) and choking.

This makes sense, though I found it hard to understand why all mail from two senders balked, and everything else did fine. I still can't explain this, but thanks for explaining the error message.

Assuming that e.oo.net is
your SIMS box, this almost certainly indicates corruption of the file
catalog on the disk holding the account files.

Yes, there was an error in the B-tree, which was easily fixed.

Daniel :)

--

Daniel Solomons
Internet Central