From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: using a backup MX with SIMS as primary
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:44:35 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:31 PM -0700 6/22/00, Richard Godard  imposed structure on a stream
of electrons, yielding:
>Hi,
>
>In the FAQ and list archive I found how to use SIMS as a backup MX
>server. However I didn't find how to have SIMS be the primary and another
>mail server the secondary.
>
>What do I need besides:
>
>IN      MX      10      mail.mydomain.com.      ;SIMS
>IN      MX      20      mail.otherdomain.com.   ;sendmail
>
>How can I let SIMS know that mail.otherdomain.com is the secondary mail
>server and that it should send the ETRN command to it when it starts?

SIMS does not send ETRN. Ever.

>Also, off topic for this list, if anyone knows how to configure sendmail
>(8.9.3-22 for GNU/Linux) to act as a secondary mail server, please., drop
>me a line :)

The short version is that you need to build the .cf so that sendmail knows
to exempt the domains it is an MX for from relay restrictions. This is
documented in the docs that describe the various m4 bits and pieces for
building the .cf

Precise details vary depending on how you want to do it, and there are
multiple ways. RTFM.

--
Bill Cole
MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group