From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: using a backup MX with SIMS as primary
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:02:48 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 16:44 6/22/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>How can I let SIMS know that mail.otherdomain.com is the secondary mail
>server and that it should send the ETRN command to it when it starts?

SIMS does not send ETRN. Ever.

However, you could easily use a scriptable telnet client to esend an etrn on startup.  Know, however, that this is pretty much pointless unless you plan on being offline a lot, and in that case SIMS (or any mail server software) is not really for you.

>Also, off topic for this list, if anyone knows how to configure sendmail
>(8.9.3-22 for GNU/Linux) to act as a secondary mail server, please., drop
>me a line :)

The short version is that you need to build the .cf so that sendmail knows
to exempt the domains it is an MX for from relay restrictions. This is
documented in the docs that describe the various m4 bits and pieces for
building the .cf

There are good HOW-TOs for sendmail, and there is also at least one mailing list dealing with sendmail configuration.

However, if you are going to be administering sendmail, I would recommend getting WebMin <http://www.webmin.com/webmin/> it will make your life MUCH easier.