From: cgb13 <cgb13@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: "more recipients than the service supports" error
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:21:28 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>Thanks for the excellent reply. In fact, the recipients are all bcc'd, so
>now I'm a bit nervous that some will never see the mail. I wonder if
>emailer chokes in top to bottom order? Then I could put my mail address
>at the end to see if everything went through.
In the event that emailer chokes... it will always give you an error, and
fail to deliver the email entirely. If the email went out (ie: no longer
marked as waiting to be sent), then it went out to everyone. If however,
it is still sitting, claiming to be unsent, then it choked, and your
guess is as good as any as to how many of the people got it. Best bet
would be to resend it to everyone at that point.

>From the inital description you gave... it worked fine. The breaking up
of the email into smaller lists is a normal function of emailer. I
routinly send lists in the range of 300-400 people, and get that error
report all the time, and have never had it fail to send to anyone. That
error is more of an FYI telling you that emailer broke it up, because
somewhere along the line 60 people was too many people for a single
message.

>I'm working on getting away from emailer for broadcast (see thread a
>couple of weeks ago) but am stuck w/ it for a little bit longer.
If you like emailer in general, I see no reason to dump it. I have been
using it happily for years now. Yes, it is EOL'd but the support on its
mail list is great (if you are not subscribed already, you can by sending
an email to <emailer-talk-request@eskimo.com> with a subject of Subscribe.