From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Getting rid of Sendmail
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:40:35 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:09 PM +0100 6/23/00, Steve Linford  imposed structure on a stream of
electrons, yielding:
>I know this is going to sound real silly... I just installed Linux on a
>PowerMac  and booted it up, and I see that Sendmail is running (and
>probably as an open relay too). Does anyone know where to locate Sendmail
>in Linux and how to tell it to quit?

There are many ways....

You probably want to keep /usr/lib/sendmail, which is likely the binary.
It is used by many things to actually send mail. You are unlikely to be
able to use anything other than some replacement to get mail off the box
if you delete it, but that would assure that it doesn't run.

More targeted would be stopping it from starting at boot. This will vary
depending on what distribution you have, but in all likelihood there is
something like /etc/rc3.d/S60sendmail. This will be a script that starts
sendmail at boot. You can remove it or rename it so that it doesn't start
with a capital S.  It MIGHT be under rc2.d instead, or on some nasty
distros it might be called out of some /etc/rc* script.

The alternate possibility is that sendmail is running out of inetd. Find
the line in /etc/inetd.conf that references it and remove that line.

--
Bill Cole
MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group