From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Getting rid of Sendmail
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:14:40 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 17:24 6/23/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I know this is going to sound real silly... I just installed Linux on a
>PowerMac  and booted it up, and I see that Sendmail is running (and
>probably as an open relay too). Does anyone know where to locate Sendmail
>in Linux and how to tell it to quit?

first off, do this immediately from a console:

ps aux

which will return a list of processes and their ids which are related
to ("ps aux | grep sendmail" if you want to try to pick out sendmail
specifically). The process id number (pid) will be the very first
number in the columns returned by the above ps command. Do a "kill
pid" (as root) and verify that sendmail is indeed killed by its
absence in a new ps list. That will get you where you want to be at
this moment (no sendmail), and if you never reboot the server or
restart sendmail, you're OK.

Um... not really.  sendmail will restart the instant someone tries to send an email.  Try it, kill sendmail, then type `mail bozo@hotmail.com` and you will see sendmail up and running; at least long enough to send the email.  If you really want to disable sendmail you will have to actually turn it off.

I recommend, again, WebMin.  <http://www.webmin.com/webmin/>