From: Steve Linford <steve@uxn.com>
Subject: Re: HELO problems
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:27:42 +0100
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>From Wayne Irvine, received 28/06/2000, 1:35 am +0100 (GMT):
> A client is moving their connection to ADSL and as a result is changing
> IP's. Their ISP is quite slow to change DNS settings and there are always
> problems with propagation so to minimise disruption I put a copy of SIMS on
> the old IP address and set it up to forward all mail to the new IP.
>
> Tested it by sending an email from Hotmail. It hits SIMS on the old IP and
> is forwarded to the new IP. Perfect.
>
> Except the SMTP server at the ISP doesn't seem to like SIMS. I only have a
> third party description of the problem but apparently the ISP's SMTP server
> issues a 'HELO' command and SIMS fails to verify the address. Sounds like an
> anti-spam feature, but the server should be open an accepting mail.

When SIMS fails to verify the address given at HELO it simply notes that
the verification failed, but it always accepts the message anyway, so
that's not the poroblem. Whatever the problem is it will be explained in
the bounce message and in the logs.

Turn the SMTP logging level up to "Low-level info", send a test message via
the ISP and have a look in the log to see why it got bounced.

  Steve Linford