From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
Subject: Re: Obvious spam address
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:56:21 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
 >Problem is that that's only an obvious spam address to a human, to SIMS
 >that's just ASCII - it doesn't know that "A24kJf32" is any different to
 >"Fred108".

Not so - Fred108 only has one set of numbers in the name.

Yes, but the point is that from a pattern matching standpoint, for which you will need some algorithm which has to be -smart- and not take up much computing overhead, Fred108 and A24kJf32 are essentially equivalent. Such an algorithm that is also general enough to be useful is non-trivial.

Otherwise you need a rules-based system, and every time you see a new permutation, you need to add a new rule. I think Commungate Pro can do rules.

With SIMS, adding a new "rule" means adding a new router entry. I tried in the early days to track these and route them to error, but I gave up quickly - the possible permutations of what are almost random sequences was too large, not to mention the smattering of legit Fred108s that tended to make things difficult.

Stefan Jeglinski