From: Daniel Solomons <daniel@oo.net>
Subject: Re: Obvious spam address
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 12:14:13 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello -

At 2:56 PM -0400 7/5/00, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
Yes, but the point is that from a pattern matching standpoint, for
which you will need some algorithm which has to be -smart- and not
take up much computing overhead, Fred108 and A24kJf32 are essentially
equivalent.

Written as a regular expression, \d+\D+\d+ should handle it without bringing a Macintosh to its knees :-)

Such an algorithm that is also general enough to be
useful is non-trivial.

My goal is not to stop *all* spam, but the bulk of it that's easy to catch. I get several thousand messages a day that could be eliminated by this simple trap alone.

Otherwise you need a rules-based system,

That would be best, of course. Simple rules that can be pieced together to eliminate the worst of the offenders. If SIMS doesn't do it soon, I suspect it will lose a sizeable portion of its customer base to OSX which deals with this sort of thing through Unix.

and every time you see a new
permutation, you need to add a new rule. I think Commungate Pro can
do rules.

Content filtering only. It would be nice to have content filtering in SIMS, but that's one of the distinguishing features. I'm not trying to add features to SIMS so much as allow it to keep up with common spam practices.

With SIMS, adding a new "rule" means adding a new router entry. I
tried in the early days to track these and route them to error, but I
gave up quickly - the possible permutations of what are almost random
sequences was too large, not to mention the smattering of legit
Fred108s that tended to make things difficult.

Right, SIMS doesn't allow pattern matching on the username with wildcards in the  domain. Silly, really. It seems in everyone's best interests to put the squeeze on spam.

Daniel

--

Daniel Solomons
Internet Central