From: Daniel Solomons <daniel@oo.net>
Subject: Re: Obvious spam address
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 12:30:45 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello -

At 8:16 PM +0100 7/5/00, Steve Linford wrote:
Yes but money4U@msn.com also has only one and would also definately be
spam.

Sure, but no reason to allow the others through because this is more difficult :-)

It would be very nice to have router entries such as money*@* (for instance)....

 You could route usernames that end in numbers to error, but I can't
imagine any algorithm that could treat A24kJf32 as spam without bouncing
real mail.

Look for two sets of numbers. Or, if you want to trap money4U as well, look for numbers anywhere but at the end.

Some of my customers get mail from lists with long Reply-Tos like
"bounce22-somelist-43234-somename@list.foo.com"

Horrible, isn't it? One possibility, of course, is to bounce these too. Or pass it because it starts with bounce. Or use the hyphens. Point is, most spammers do what's easy, without concern for existing patterns. Presumably, we administrators can be smarter than that.

What would be fabulous in SIMS would be to have a user-defined list of
'Stop words' which would cause SIMS to bounce a message, like "S.1618",
"this is not spam", "just press delete", etc. (which could also be used to
bounce emails with Windoze virii by entering "I love You")

I *Love* it!!!!

Daniel

--

Daniel Solomons