From: Daniel Solomons <daniel@oo.net>
Subject: Re: (not so) Obvious spam address
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:08:25 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello -

At 2:01 PM -0700 7/5/00, Tod Fitch wrote:
And why not add

209.71.90.125   # imail.maxcontrols.com
206.20.104.86   # chicagoex.oechicago.com

To your local blacklisted hosts and also report them to the appropriate RBL?

Good question. In fact, I have added some of these addresses. But the spammer also uses Pacbell, AOL and other servers I can't block. Also, he is extremely active. I've already blocked nearly a hundred addresses from him, and he keeps coming up with through more! (Nor is he the only one.)

The mail may have a "FROM: uDj09qXpq@mci.com" or "l0uCRg9j1@mci.com" but
you did not receive them from an obvious MCI server.

True, though I've found some of their servers are less than obvious. I go to some length to check servers before I block them, and I've *still* had customers complain because a legitimate sender can't get through. The culprit is often owned by one of the big networks. I don't think they're trying to help us....

Daniel

--

Daniel Solomons
Internet Central