From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: (not so) Obvious spam address
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 16:04:20 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:20 7/6/2000 -0700, you wrote:
Hello -

At 9:31 AM -0600 7/6/00, Cerebus D Aardvark wrote:
>Message-ID is _Optional_ so there is no requirement.

No doubt, then, someone "legitimate" has thought to omit it? <sigh!>
I know that all the *standard* packages include it. Looking through
my mail, I see nothing I want that doesn't contain a Message-Id (and
also ends in @host).

I would say the vast majority of regular email will have the Message-ID.  However, a lot of mailing list mail will not.  And even if it does, the message ID does not match the From:

I've run into sites (poorly run ones) that bounce email as spam if it did not contain a "correct" Message-ID.  Ended up having to blacklist several and explain the failure to the mailing list subscribers.