From: Daniel Solomons <daniel@oo.net>
Subject: Re: (not so) Obvious spam address
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:49:31 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hello -

At 4:04 PM -0600 7/6/00, Kreme wrote:
I would say the vast majority of regular email will have the
Message-ID.  However, a lot of mailing list mail will not.

No Message-ID at all? I haven't seen this myself.

And even if it
does, the message ID does not match the From:

Well that's okay - we could just reject any that don't contain an @ sign. It's something.

I've run into sites (poorly run ones) that bounce email as spam if it did
not contain a "correct" Message-ID.  Ended up having to blacklist several
and explain the failure to the mailing list subscribers.

We have to remain compatible with with the rest of the world, even when they're "wrong".... :-)

Daniel

--

Daniel Solomons
Internet Central