From: Cerebus D Aardvark <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: spam and message ids
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:22:22 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 7/6/00 at 21:11 -0400, Matt Simpson said:
At 4:04 PM -0600 7/6/00, Kreme wrote:
I would say the vast majority of regular email will have the
Message-ID.  However, a lot of mailing list mail will not.  And even if it
does, the message ID does not match the From:

I use one of the popular Macintosh list servers (Macjordomo), and its
solution to Message-ID seems reasonable. If the incoming message has
a Message-ID, it will retain that same message-id on the outbound
one. If there is no message id, it does not add one.  Since the From:
has the address of the individual sender, the message-id and From:
usually do match. In my (limited) experience, the vast majority of
the mail that passes through my server has a message-id; occasionally
one does not.

Anyway, it was macjordom and a clueless git of an admin.

I ran into one of these once.  They bounced the mail without
explaining why. I couldn't figure out why some messages bounced and
most didn't. I dropped the subscriber and told them it was because
their ISP was bouncing mail for no apparent reason. They asked the
ISP, who responded that it was because of the missing message-id and
I "should fix my system to comply with the RFCs".
I responded that my system wasn't broken, the RFC said the message-id
was optional, and it wasn't my responsibility to add it.  Since
continuing to let the mail bounce was not an acceptable option for
me, I figured I had a choice of blacklisting the subscribers who were
incorrectly bouncing the mail, which was easy and seemed fair, or
blacklisting the subscribers who were sending mail without
message-ids, which was a little tougher to identify and seemed less
fair.

Hmmm.. this sounds _VERY_ Familiar,