From: Steve Linford <steve@uxn.com>
Subject: Re: Newbie Setup
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:45:35 +0100
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>From admin, received 10/07/2000, 10:35 pm +0100 (GMT):
> >> From Mike Davis, received 10/07/2000, 5:35 pm +0100 (GMT):
> >> Newbie question:
> >> If I want to receive email for multiple domains, do I need to add a
>line for
> >> each domain into the router like :
> >> domain.com = maindomain.com
> >
> > Yes if you want the domains to share the same users (i.e: if
> > mike@domain.com and mike@maindomain.com are the same person).
> >
> > If mike@domain.com and mike@maindomain.com are not the same person, then
> > you need to route the new domain into POP accounts like this:
> >
> > <*@domain.com> = domain-*
> >
> > so that mike@domain.com gets routed into the POP account "domain-mike"
> > assuming that exists.
> Right now I don't have conflicting accounts.  I just migrated from an old
> EIMS server where all accounts were "shared" with any domain name listed in
> the preferences.

Then at the beginning of the SIMS router just put:

domain1.com = maindomain.com
domain2.com = maindomain.com
domain3.com = maindomain.com

> >> And if I use a separate SIMS server as secondary mail, do I add a router
> >> line:
> >> domain.com.smtp
> >> for each secondary domain?
> >
> > No, just add the IP address of the primary to the secondary's Client List
> > in SIMS' SMTP window.
> Will I also be able to use the second SIMS server as a primary server for
> other domains, or will adding the IP address make it forward all mail to the
> other server?

Which server is the primary is governed soley by the individual domains'
DNS MX settings. You can have 2 primaries, with each doing secondary for
the other. But it's a pain to administer, much better to admin just one
machine IMO.

  Steve Linford