From: Steve Linford <steve@uxn.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP Error codes
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:39:47 +0100
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

[Bill Cole said]:
> However, there is a standards issue with SIMS error messages. Basically
> there are no standards for SMTP reply codes (i.e. the ### numbers) beyond
> some defined in RFC821 and a theory for building other reply codes defined
> there.

Perfect! Thanks Stefan, I found just what I wanted in APPENDIX E, Theory of
Reply Codes, of http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/rfc/rfc0821.txt

      The three digits of the reply each have a special significance.
      The first digit denotes whether the response is good, bad or
      incomplete.  An unsophisticated sender-SMTP will be able to
      determine its next action (proceed as planned, redo, retrench,
      etc.) by simply examining this first digit.  A sender-SMTP that
      wants to know approximately what kind of error occurred (e.g.,
      mail system error, command syntax error) may examine the second
      digit, reserving the third digit for the finest gradation of
      information.

Thanks,

  Steve Linford