From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP Error codes
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:53:12 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 15:58 7/11/2000 +0100, you wrote:
On Monday a server blacklisted by the RSS tried to send a message to one of
my customers and hit SIMS's "591 get lost" message, which it ignored and
just carried on reconnecting to me and trying to submit mail another 740
times, getting "591 get lost" every time.

The admin of the blacklisted server, and my customer who's in the loop, now
wants to know why my SIMS server is giving "bogus" error messages.
Basically he's says "591" is not a valid RFC error number...

any error starting with 5 is valid, and means "permanent failure, do not retry."

Similarly, any error starting with a 4 means a transient error.

The RFC on this I don't recall the number, but it's under 1000 and you should be able to find it at any of the RFC servers fairly easily.