From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Blocking Open Relay
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:05:22 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 2:20 PM -0700 7/10/00, Steven Oberlechner  imposed structure on a
stream of electrons, yielding:
>Hi,
>

>I certainly appreciated this list when researching and setting up SIMS, so
>maybe this can be answered too!
>
>I just recently moved to SIMS 1.7, and am trying to block all open relays
>through my server. I have configured SMTP to relay for clients only, and
>have configured my range of IP addresses. The relay is blocked on the RSS
>test until it attempts the following:

><<< 550 <"rss-result2@popovich.net"@[222.222.222.222]> user unknown.
><<< 250 SMTP state reset
><<< 250  sender accepted
><<< 250  will relay
><<< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
><<< 250 S.0000489724 message accepted for delivery

That's odd... The tester is spitting out weird output, although I think I
recognize that particular test oddity.

Assuming that this is what I think it is, the relay problem found by this
test method is fixed in 1.8b8.

--
Bill Cole
MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group