From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Account file format
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:34:17 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 3:28 PM -0400 7/13/00, Bill Cole  imposed structure on a stream of
electrons, yielding:
>At 5:55 PM +0800 7/13/00, LiangTyan Fui  imposed structure on a stream of
>electrons, yielding:
>
>>But Dimity the recent SIMS doesn't add ">" to "From" anymore.
>>I discovered this recently - and my usual method of interpreting the "From"
>>as mark of beginning of email has failed.
>
>Because of the problem with whacking digital signatures, this is something
>that should be done by clients, not servers. MUA's that do not escape
>'^From ' before sending are going to break nothing but other MUA's that
>use the BSD mailbox format, and it is not safe (or proper) for servers to
>do the escaping.

I need to refine that...

MUA's may not be the only agents needing to do this, but anything else
(like a local delivery and remote pickup combination, e.g. the SIMS
delivery and POP3 portions) which MIGHT need to do escaping needs also to
do it transparently, presenting to the end user exactly what was presented
to the delivery agent that deposited the message in the mailbox file. So
if SIMS escapes '^From ' when writing the message to the mailbox, it
should also de-escape it when a user retrieves the message via POP3.

One way that SIMS might do that is to add to the format of the leading
From line by tacking on a list of line numbers with escapes in them. Of
course, how this is done is pretty much a matter of how Stalker wants to
do it. Another trick that can be used is to add (or verify/correct if
present) a Content-Length header for every message and not do any escaping.

--
Bill Cole
MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group