From: Simon Forster <simon@ldml.com>
Subject: Re: SIMS as relay server
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:41:01 +0100
To: (SIMS Discussions) <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hi

I have set up a copy of SIMS as a secondary server using the router entry:

ldml.com = ldml.com.smtp

However, this doesn't seem to be working as I get the log message:

12:21:34 1 SMTP-010(213.219.39.178) SPAM? Recipient '<simon@ldml.com>'
rejected: user unknown

Yes, simon@ldml.com is unknown to this machine but it should push this email
straight on to my primary. Or am I missing a trick here?

Well, obviously I am.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Simon

> From: Tod Fitch <tod@LTFdesign.com>
> Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:59:05 -0700
> Subject: Re: SIMS as relay server
>
> At 08:39 AM 7/20/2000 , Simon Forster wrote:
>> Quick question just to make sure that I've got this right...
>>
>> I want to set up a copy of SIMS as a secondary email server relaying through
>> to my primary. As I only want to relay my mail am I right in saying that I
>> need to:
>>
>> - Select 'Relay For Clients Only' and then specify no Client Hosts.
>> (Although realistically there may be one or two.)
>>
>> - Set a router config along the lines of 'ldml.com=ldml.com@mail.ldml.com'
>> where 'mail.ldml.com' is the primary mail server. Repeat for each domain I'm
>> secondarying for.
>>
>> Can someone just confirm that this is correct (or let me know if I've got it
>> wrong). A cc to me direct would be good too.
>
> You are right about setting relay for clients only and you need not have
> any clients listed in the secondary's configuration. This is because there
> will be a routing entry that will catch the mail and forward it.
>
> Your router entry should be of the form:
>
> ldml.com = ldml.com.smtp
>
> (Requires the .smtp routing available in V1.8bN where N is some number I
> have forgotten. 1.8b8 is very stable and has it.)
>
> This will route any mail that gets through your black list processing on to
> the next most preferred mail server. With appropriate DNS entries that will
> be your primary mail server.

Simon Forster