From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: SIMS as relay server
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:00:12 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 1:05 PM +0100 7/25/00, Simon Forster  imposed structure on a stream of
electrons, yielding:

>Anyway, I'd taken the 'Domain Name' setting (in 'General') literally and had
>put in the name of the domain as opposed to the name of the server.
>Originally, I'd set it to the servers name but then I read what it was
>asking for and thought that maybe it wanted the domain name that the server
>was meant to be working with. However, this didn't make much sense to me
>(for obvious reasons) so I switched it back when I was having problems.

Nice to see that you figured it out.

It might make sense for Stalker to relabel that as "Fully Qualified Domain
Name" although that as well is a bit misleading. Note that technically a
'domain name' is ANY name in dotted-domain style, whether it is a
2nd-level domain name like ldml.com or the name of a specific host like
fireproof.scconsult.com.

Every MTA that has a local delivery outlet needs to have a 'true name'
that is the domain part of addresses that have been fully translated by
whatever mechanism the MTA uses to parse/rewrite recipient addresses (in
the case of SIMS, that would be the router.) Every MTA also needs a name
to use in its HELO
commands. These should be the same name, because there is an implication
in the RFC's that postmaster@<truename> needs to be deliverable to someone
who can fix any problems with the MTA.

This makes naming a bit less than obvious in modern times, because mail
servers aren't as commonly serving a single FQDN  as they were in the
past. The SMTP protocol and Internet mail format standards were written in
a time when nearly every machine with an IP address handled its own mail,
before commercial providers and other large mail handlers made addresses
like user@domain.tld common and expected, and before MTA's were commonly
expected to handle multiple domains. The evolution of the net has been
faster socially than technically, so being an admin often means having to
do convoluted things with server config to make everything look pretty to
users.

--
Bill Cole
MAPS L.L.C. Consulting Services Group