From: Webmaster <webmaster@homes-magazine.com>
Subject: Re: Attachment size limits?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:46:32 -0700
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 07/25/00, Kreme wrote:

> At 08:29 7/25/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >Is there any limit on the size of mail attachements sent from or
> >received by SIMS? If so, what are the limits? I have some users sending
> >court filings that are as large as 15 MB or more. (Yes, I know material
> >this size should be ftp'ed but recipients do not all have or know how to
> >use ftp.) All of the intended recipients have high speed connections,
> >usually T1 equivalent or better.
>
> The only thing you can limit is the size of the mailbox.
>
> There is no realistic way to limit the size of outgoing data mail since
> sims doesn't know the size until the transmission is done.

The SIMS server I run is for a magazine publisher. We routinely have
advertisers sending us photos and other files in the 10 - 20 MB range by
e-mail. Aside from the fact that I'd rather they used some other protocol like
ftp, it's not usually a problem unless the recipient isn't deleting messages
from the server in a timely manner. No matter how often I tell them to do so,
I still get calls every so often from some user (usually the same one or two
people) saying, 'I can't get my mail, it keeps stalling in the middle of
downloading messages. What's wrong?' Invariably, when I look into it, the
user's mailbox is like 50 MB or more and I end up having to open it in BBEdit
(or Mailsmith's POP Monitor) to delete messages manually.

                   Christopher Bort | cbort@homes-magazine.com
            Webmaster, Global Homes | webmaster@homes-magazine.com
      <http://www.globalhomes.com/> | PGP public key available on request