From: LiangTyan Fui <list@magix.com.my>
Subject: Re: Stopping auto-reply loops
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:16:25 +0800
To: (SIMS Discussions) <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 27/7/00 8:38 AM, Elliot Wilen wrote:

> Hm. On a vaguely-related topic, does anyone know of a Mac (or Windows)
> program which functions like Unix vacation? I.e., when activated, it will
> periodically examine a POP account, maintain a list of originating addresses
> (based on an appropriate line of the header, probably the Sender), and
> each time a new address appears, send an autoreply via SMTP. When the
> program is deactivated and reactivated, it will discard the list of
> originating
> addresses and start a new one.
>
> The idea is to avoid loops, since only one autoreply is sent to each
> unique sender. If such a program were widely disseminated, I think it would
> save a lot of headaches.

Some text from the SIMS documentation:

###
Not all messages are auto-replied. A message is not replied if:

*    the message return-path address is a "null" address (null return-path
addresses are used in automatically-generated messages, such as
return-receipts and error messages);
*    the message contains a header starting with X-List or with X-Mirror
(these headers are inserted into mailing lists messages).
*    the message contains the Precedence header with the junk, bulk, or list
keyword (these headers are inserted into mailing lists messages).
###

I presumed SIMS will add a X-Mirror or Precedence header to all of its
auto-replied messages?
In this case, the loop should not be happening if both of the mail server
behave nicely.

Regards,
LiangTyan Fui