?????? #6614 ?????? ???????? SIMS@stalker.com
?? ????: Webmaster <webmaster@homes-magazine.com>
????: Re: Stopping auto-reply loops
????: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:06:08 -0700
????: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 07/27/00 at 05:00, SIMS@mail.stalker.com wrote:

> Hm. On a vaguely-related topic, does anyone know of a Mac (or Windows)
> program which functions like Unix vacation? I.e., when activated, it
> will periodically examine a POP account, maintain a list of
> originating addresses (based on an appropriate line of the header,
> probably the Sender), and each time a new address appears, send an
> autoreply via SMTP. When the program is deactivated and reactivated,
> it will discard the list of originating addresses and start a new one.
>
> The idea is to avoid loops, since only one autoreply is sent to each
> unique sender. If such a program were widely disseminated, I think it would
> save a lot of headaches.

Autoshare (which works with SIMS) has a vacation notice feature that will send
only one notice back to each incoming address. It can also ignore messages
with 'Bulk' priority to avoid sending vacation notices to lists.

> Steven Oberlechner wrote:
> >I had set up one of my user accounts with an auto-reply.
> >Unfortunately, he got a message with an autoreply on the other end,
> >and the endless loop of replies then  inflated his mailbox to 220 Mb
> >before I caught it. Is there an automatic way to prevent this from
> >happening. Is there a way in the router for me to at least reject
> >mail coming from the address with the auto-reply. I am still a router
> >newbie and would appreciate any comments on the topic.

For the quick and dirty router solution:

<offendingaddress@their.domain> = error

                   Christopher Bort | cbort@homes-magazine.com
            Webmaster, Global Homes | webmaster@homes-magazine.com
      <http://www.globalhomes.com/> | PGP public key available on request