From: Kreme <kreme@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: What should I make of this?
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:24:33 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 07:24 8/3/2000 -0700, you wrote:
I am now toying
with the idea of blocking that port at my fire wall and denying any outside
administration of the mail server. That would be a big hit for me because
most of the administration I normally do is from my work location not my
wife's studio.

Firewall the port, but set your worksite's IP range as an allowed range.  Don't know your firewall software but if you were in linux, for example and the job was named "firewl.in" you would do this

in /etc/hosts.deny
firewal.in: ALL

in /etc/hosts.allow
firewal.in: 12.34.56.

That is, if 12.34.56.x is your worksite's class C.  And yes, I know the syntax looks odd...

If your firewall is rules based you should be able to do this.  Check your docs.