From: Jeff Porten <civitan@jeffporten.com>
Subject: Problems with some outgoing SMTP
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:01:19 -0700
To: <sims>
I am running SIMS 1.7 for outgoing SMTP service for one of my clients.  For
the past week or so, emails out to some addresses are getting bounced back
to us.  A sample header:

>> From: MAILER-DAEMON@capitolvoice.com
>> Date: Tuesday, August 8, 2000 5:58 PM
>> To: [name]@webermerritt.com
>> Subject: Undeliverable mail: B Group
>>
>> Failed to deliver your message to [name]@erols.com:
>> SMTP: The host does not maintain the SMTP mail service
>> Cannot speak with 'mx.mail.rcn.net.' for 4 days.

The problem seems to be localized to a few recipient servers, such as RCN
and RoadRunner; unfortunately, these companies run a LOT of domains and our
outgoing mail is getting seriously compromised.

An RCN tech rep told me that our SMTP server shouldn't be talking to
mx.mail.rcn.net at all -- it's a backup server, and he's "never heard of
that being used."

I'm on hold right now with our ISP to see if there's a DNS problem.

What could be the problem?  I've gotten some error messages saying that
"mail from [our domain] is not welcome", which I hopefully fixed by setting
our server settings to only relay from our IPs.  (I had set this before,
somehow this has been cleared.)  I also made sure our reverse DNS is working
properly, but this still is not showing to the outside world, for reasons I
can't fathom.

Help?

Best,
Jeff Porten